If I had a nickel for every time I was asked, “So what do you actually do?”. The bad part is even I have a hard time explaining what I do. So, I thought I would use this article today to help the community better understand.
1. We are part of Georgia Family Connection Partnership, a Georgia statewide initiative of 159 community collaborative partnerships committed to making measurable improvements for children and families in Georgia. So, in other words there is a Family Connection in every county in the state of Georgia.
2. “But in Clinch County they aren’t the same as our Family Connection”. I hear this often and you can insert any county in the state of Georgia in that sentence. Each Family Connection in every county is governed locally. This means we (Lanier Family Connection) can identify the needs of our community that meet the mission of improving the lives of children and families in Lanier. We are not directed by the state to work on a certain need. Therefore, when you cross county lines you will discover a Family Connection that is working on the specific needs of their community.
3. Who pays you? I am paid through a state grant. No local fundraising goes toward my income. As the director of a nonprofit, my contract is through the Lanier Family Connection Board of Directors. The Lanier County School System acts as our fiscal agent.
4. How do we have staff in Lanier and other counties do not? We have staff because as director of a nonprofit I have written grants to hire staff to meet the needs the collaborative have identified in the community. The current staff is paid through a Promoting Safe and Stable Families Grant. No local fundraising pays the salary of any staff.
5. How do you become part of the collaborative? Anyone can be a part of the collaborative. We believe the best way to accomplish any of our goals is to work together. When partners have like minded goals our mission is met more efficiently when we are working together.
Hopefully this has answered some questions and not confused people even more. If you have any questions or would like to be added to our email distribution list please feel free to email me at email@example.com or call 229-585-1986.